Wellness Coach / Personal Trainer
Department: Health Fitness
Supervisor: Association Health Fitness Director
Revision Date: 03/10/2020
Employee Status Type: Part Time-Non Exempt
Wellness Coaches are fitness professionals that oversee the fitness center and members to ensure safe use of the equipment and engage with the YMCA’s members and guests.
1. Current CPR/AED certification through either the American Heart Association or The Red Cross
2. Current personal training certification that is both nationally accredited and recognized or the YMCA’s Strength and Conditioning Certification.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
a. Ensure that equipment functions properly. Maintenance/repair needs are communicated to their supervisor and/or maintenance staff.
b. Enforce all safety rules and policies.
c. Approach members/guests doing exercises wrongly/dangerously and educate them as to why it was wrong/dangerous and how to correct the movement.
2. Customer Service:
a. Interacts spontaneously with members, guest, and other staff at any given time in the facility to model a personal and inviting atmosphere for the facility. Develop close relationships with as many members as possible.
b. Attend to members’ needs
3. Maintain professional environment
a. Complete all assigned cleaning during every shift, and make sure that all equipment is in its correct spot in an organized manner
b. Staff are expected to act in a well-mannered, inclusive, and professional way that always upholds the YMCA’s mission and standards.
4. Orientations and instruction
a. Wellness Coaches will put members through orientations of the fitness floor that are focused on educating members/guests on how to safely plan/execute basic workouts to accomplish their specific goals.
b. Must understand how to utilize all the fitness equipment in the facility and be able to instruct others how to safely and effectively use it.
1. Ability to instruct training on fitness machines and weights and activities relating to fitness.
2. Ability to perform all physical aspects of the position; including walking, standing, bending, reaching, and lifting.
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
Member Service Representative
Position Title: Member Service Representative
Supervisor: Member Service Coordinator
Employee Status Type: Part Time-Non Exempt
The Member Service Representative, working as part of the Member Services Team, will deliver professional customer service, relationship building and sales skills to create a welcoming environment at the YMCA. The staff will additionally provide in-depth information in regards to the YMCA of Central New Mexico, such as memberships, programs, activities, special events, etc. The staff will assist with the attraction and retention of members; including the collection and processing of monetary transactions and information for members, participants and guests. The staff with also exhibit the core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility in all aspects of their work with the YMCA.
1. Strong communication, customer service and problem solving skills.
2. Ability to actively listen.
3. The staff needs to be able to handle multiple tasks under limited supervision, work well in a team setting and detailed oriented.
4. Experience with and knowledge of computers.
5. Possess a positive and professional attitude.
6. Have cash handling skills and the ability to reconcile shift transactions.
7. A willingness to commit to the mission of the YMCA.
Interpersonal Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Perform and provide excellent customer service skills by exceeding member expectations! Consistently greet every person who enters the YMCA (by name, if known) and recognize all members and guests when they leave.
2. Engage in active listening with members and program participants in order to build relationships, understand individual’s goals and interests, and take the initiative to ensure the member has a positive experience.
3. Answer phones, direct calls, and provide accurate information about memberships and programs.
4. Help prospects and members experience the YMCA by introducing them to other staff and members. By creating these interactions, we will demonstrate that the YMCA is a place where we take the time to connect, communicate and engage in respectful and friendly relationships.
5. Be familiar with the mission statement and core values of the YMCA. Model the core values while working and communicating with other staff.
6. Always have a friendly, helpful attitude and wear a smile.
7. When giving tours and interviewing prospective members, listen to their needs and discuss with them how the YMCA can help.
8. Actively listen, reflect and respond to member or guest questions and concerns in a caring manner.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Be knowledgeable about all YMCA programs and sell them effectively. This includes being familiar with all current brochure information, upcoming events and other special activities. If information is not available, be responsible for obtaining the correct information, updating front desk resources and providing information to members and guests.
2. Interviews and/or tours prospective members; sells memberships.
3. Control access to the facility. Check-in members entering the facility by scanning membership cards and obtaining proper identification of guests.
4. Register for memberships and/or programs, by inputting data in the computer system, collecting the proper payment and verifying the accuracy of information on the YMCA forms.
5. Use professional telephone etiquette.
6. Assist in training/on-boarding Member Service Team members.
7. Enter all transactions accurately and completely into the computer system. Balance all end of shifts and report any discrepancies to supervisor.
8. Follow and enforce all YMCA procedures and policies, including: personnel guidelines, safety guidelines, facility access procedures and membership policies. Carry out emergency plans as necessary.
9. Maintain a clean and safe YMCA. Take initiative to clean up/repair areas.
10. Be dressed in appropriate attire and wear name tag at all times.
11. Attend and remain current on all mandatory trainings and staff meetings.
12. Be knowledgeable and supportive of the YMCA annual support campaign.
13. Any other duties as assigned.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, walk, use hands and fingers, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reaches with hands and arms; climb or balance; kneel, crouch, crawl; smell and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close and distant vision, peripheral and depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Acute hearing skills are required.
Effect on the End Result:
The Member Service Representative position, as part of the Member Service Team, will allow for more consistent and quality customer service by making members, participants and guests of the YMCA feel welcome and increase their sense of belonging to the YMCA. This position will strengthen our ability to provide accurate files, bills and membership program information. The overall result of these actions will create engaged members and participants with a strong connection to the YMCA. Their positive experiences will result in members and participants becoming ambassadors for the YMCA.
Email Albert Ramirez if you’re interested in this position at
Youth Sports Referee and Site Monitor
The YMCA of Central New Mexico is hiring!
We have a need for Youth Sports Referees and Site Monitor. These positions serves as a positive liaison between coaches, children, parents and the Y:
Knowledgeable of rules and regulations for a variety of sports
Must be Responsible
Must be Organized
Must be available on most week nights and Saturdays
Early Childhood Teacher (Santa Fe & Albuquerque)
Make a difference in a child’s life.
We are looking for someone who can provide a quality experience to children and parents that focus on the YMCA core values: honesty, respect, responsibility, and caring.
Implements curriculum within the established guidelines. Designs and implements daily lesson/activity plans. Supervises the children, classroom, and all activities. Makes ongoing, systematic observations and evaluations of each child. Maintains communication with parents, and engages parents as volunteers. Maintains program site and equipment. Maintains required program records. Attends and participates in family nights, program activities, staff meetings, and staff training. Meets educational and experience qualifications established by state law.
This association does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, non-job related medical condition or handicap, veteran or marital status. No question in the employment application form is intended to secure information to be used for such discrimination. Please contact the Human Resources Department if you require accommodation to complete the application or interview process.