Teen Summer Day Program 2019 will be held at Grant Middle School
The Y is looking for teens to join us for our teen summer program, “Gamers Unite!” The themes below are the focus for the weekly programs. Games, arts & crafts, STEM activities, literacy, sports and fitness, music, special guests, and field trips are all designed to support the weekly theme. Curriculum is also centered on YMCA core values: honesty, respect, caring and social responsibility.
Our Summer Programs offer adventure and opportunities for youth ages 11-14
Children entering grades 6th grade to 8th grade in the fall are eligible to attend Day Program. Children entering program must be 11 years of age by May 15th, 2018.
1ST DAY OF DAY SUMMER PROGRAM
What should my child bring?
- Morning snack, lunch and afternoon snack ( Please see section entitled “MEALS”)
- Dress in comfortable clothing and tennis shoes (flip flops / sandals should not be worn to program).
- YMCA water bottle and T-Shirt given on or before the first day of program
- Sunscreen, labeled with child’s name, will stay at program for daily use
Swimsuit and towel on swim days only. It is highly recommended that children wear swimsuits under regular clothing to program on swim days
- May 28th – May 31st “Gamers Unite!”
- June 3rd – June 7th “Ancient Games”
- June 10th – June 14th “Strategic Games”
- June 17th -June 21st “Minecraft Adventures”
- June 24th -June 28th “Game Design Adventures”
- July 1st – July 3rd “Water Week”
- July 8th – July 12th “Space Invaders”
- July 15th – July 19th “Game Café”
- July 22nd – July 26th “Get Your Game On – Part 1”
- July 29th – Aug 2nd “Get Your Game On – Part 2”
The YMCA applies for the city’s free lunch program every year. In past years we have been part of the program and hope to continue to do so again this year. This program is site specific and not guaranteed. In the event that your Y location is not selected, parents will need to provide a lunch and two snacks.
- First & last week of summer program
Please send child with TWO non-perishable snacks and a sack lunch.
- All other weeks
Please send child with TWO non-perishable snacks and a sack lunch unless notified by the site supervisor
- Fieldtrip Days
On certain fieldtrip days, a non-perishable sack lunch may be required.
- Special Diets
In the event a special diet is required, parents may be asked to provide daily lunch. Please speak with the director to determine a solution that best fits dietary needs
The Y spends months recruiting, screening and training summer program staff. We look for individuals who are energetic, outgoing and self-motivated. Engaged supervision is what is required of all staff. The Y selects people who are caring and sensitive to a child’s individual needs. The following are requirements of all summer staff before hired:
- 18 years of age and older
- Clear criminal background screening
- Clear drug screening
- CPR & First Aid certified
- Complete online courses in the proper handling of blood borne pathogens, child abuse prevention, and 16 hours of day program specific training (pool safety, communicating with parents, facilitating summer program schedules and activities, field trip safety, and more).
- Adhere to a strict code of conduct
Welcome to YMCA Summer Program! At the YMCA, kids have fun while they learn how to make new friends, build new skills and grow in self-reliance. Studies show that under the careful guidance of trained, certified counselors, children cultivate a positive identity and develop and refine social, physical and critical thinking skills. Equally important is the infusion of positive values such as caring, honesty, respect and responsibility. The concepts of independence and discovery come into play every day at the YMCA!
Youth and Adolescent Development, Coordinator
or Phone 595-1515 ext. 3110
Director of Youth and Adolescent Development
Site Phone 505-312-9434