GROUP EXERCISE INSTRUCTOR
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Group Exercise Instructor at the YMCA of Central New Mexico serves others by intentionally welcoming, connecting, and supporting them and inviting them to get involved and give back to the community.
- Creates a safe environment in which all individuals feel welcomed and respected; build relationships with and among members and program participants.
- Leads energizing, fun, safe, and educational group classes, as directed by the supervisor, that align with the healthy living program goals and objectives.
- Understands different health needs; observes and adjusts approach to support all participants’ capabilities, physical conditions, health, and culture.
- Asks and answers questions and displays empathy in support of helping member and program participants build confidence to achieve their health and wellness goals.
- Identifies and celebrates the successes of members and program participants.
- Maintains working knowledge of wellness and trends to provide effective information and support to members.
- Keeps accurate class attendance records.
- Follows YMCA policies and procedures; responds to emergency situations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- National certification in group fitness instruction (e.g., ACE, NETA, AFAA, NASM) or YMCA group exercise instructor certification required.
- Certification in area of expertise required.
- CPR, First Aid, and AED certifications required.
- Child Abuse Prevention training required within 30 days of hire.
- At least one year of experience teaching group exercise classes preferred.
- Ability to develop positive, authentic relationships with people from different backgrounds.
- Commitment to inclusion and compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
Click here to submit your interest in this position; you will be contacted by Human Resources or the hiring manager for additional information.