Early Learning & Preschool
The YMCA of Central New Mexico is the state’s largest child care provider, with over 20 early learning, pre-school and afterschool centers. We are dedicated to providing high-quality, affordable child care that nurtures children’s healthy social, physical, and mental development.
Our curriculum is based on the belief that children develop physically, mentally and emotionally by actively participating through play. Our learning environment is led by trained teachers who understand how young children learn and focus in the following areas:
- Social Skills: Getting along with others in certain environments
- Diversity: Appreciating differences in people, places and things
- Foreign Language: Spanish and some basic French and Sign Language during activities
- Math: Assisting with basic concepts
- Science: Experimental, fun learning activities
- Basic Computer Literacy: learning programs and group activities
- Gross and Fine Motor Skills: movement and placement
- Language and Literacy: Verbal and non-verbal communication, reading, writing and words
- Recognition of Self: Self esteem, likes, family, culture, talents, etc.
- Nutrition: Health and wellness, healthy foods and activities
- Cognitive: Process of thought
- Exploration: Discovery of children's interests
To see an example of our Horn Child Development Center's curriculum click here.
Infant Care – 6 weeks to 24 months
Our infant care program is designed to meet the needs of each baby based on his or her own schedule. Music, singing, reading, finger play, and constant verbalization foster budding socialization, self-concept and developmental skills. The following locations provide infant care:
- Downtown Child Development Center
Toddler Care - 2-3 years
The Y offers a safe, caring environment in which toddlers can begin the path of life-long learning. Programs emphasize developing a strong self concept as well as social, intellectual and verbal skills.
Preschool Program - 3-5 years
Our preschool program emphasizes both a developmental and creative curriculum. Our preschoolers enjoy activities that build self-confidence and socialization skills, including soccer, swimming, dance and computer literacy.
Early Learning & Preschool Locations
Horn Family YMCA
4901 Indian School Rd NE
Albuquerque NM 87110
YMCA Zona Childcare
6600 Valentine Way; Building Y
Santa Fe NM 87507
Downtown Family YMCA
303 Roma Ave. NW; Suite RB00A
Albuquerque NM 87102
Westside Family YMCA
4701 Montano Rd NW
Albuquerque NM 87120